Loving Support WBW 2016

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I just want to help....


I've recently had some moms who are really struggling with their confidence in themselves and their decision to breastfeed. Granted, I remember those first few months myself.... In fact, the only parts I vividly remember was breastfeeding and all the frustration, worry, anxiety, pain, and exhaustion that came with constant nursing sessions day and night. All the other details of those days are blurry. I didn't really live, I just sort of existed. So, when I hear a mom desperate to get her sanity back, all I want to do is hug her. There is no consoling her about the actual moment she's currently in. The only thing that I can say is that, if you can get through this, you'll be immersed in baby snuggles, love high, and the pride and satisfaction that only comes with persevering through the storm. Unfortunately, none of that seems very relevant or is difficult to process and grasp when you're stuck in the new mommy fog. So, what do I do?
I have a few options.

1. Attempt to convince her to keep going. Remind her of the brevity of this time and inundate her with suggestions, information, and tips she can try.

2. Try to find a compromise between latching, pumping, and formula. I believe that combining any or all of these can be just the right recipe for success for particular moms in unique situations. And any amount of breast milk is better than none at all. Is it ideal, not necessarily, but that's what a compromise is. ;)

3. Let her quit and be there through the weaning process. Encourage her that she can always try again if she has another baby and that just because she's going to formula feed, does NOT mean she's in any way a bad mother.

Really, I just want to help. I want to be supportive. Motherhood is trying and exhausting and we are ALL struggling to do our best. So, that's where I am. I'm trying to reassure my clients that they are doing their best and that they will get through the hard times. I try to say to them, what I would've liked to hear in those moments. I'm more than happy to be a cheerleader for motherhood.

What about you?
What would you want to hear in the moments of fatigued frustration that is motherhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment